Thursday, January 6, 2011

Easy Chicken Soup



Now that I'm back to work I can't tell you how many people have told me they had the
24 hour flu bug over the holidays and am so thankful I didn't get it. If you are wanting
an easy peasy soup that is hands down delicious that you probably already have the ingredients for then  you've got to give this a try and if anyone is sick in your family then it will surely nurse them back to good health!


The base is an original Martha Stewart recipe but I have added celery, removed the
parsnips and opted for rice sometimes or you can add your own cooked noodles. My
honey prefers it without the rice.


  • 1 3/4lbs of carrots chopped or 2lbs if you like carrots a lot, I use the smaller amount 
  • 12 cups of filtered water or enough to cover chicken
  • 3 medium sized onions rough chopped
  • 2 tablespoons good quality sea salt
  • 3 large stalks celery chopped
  • 1 whole uncooked chicken 3-4 lbs


Put all the vegies in the bottom of a stock pot. Add chicken breast side down. Add
water, it should cover chicken. Turn on to boil and then lower to simmer for 35-40
minutes. If I decide to make it a chicken and brown ricesoup  I cook it up separately
while the soup is cooking as takes 50 minutes to cook. Skim any foam off that rises
 in your soup. When it's done remove the whole chicken and being careful not to
burn yourself remove the skin and chicken meat, cut or shred it the meat and add it
back to the pot. Add your rice if desired and enjoy!




Enjoy and hope you are having a wonderful week!

Hugs
Sandra


2 comments:

Claudia said...

Hello,

I am going to try this recipe this weekend. We are expecting a lotvof snow this weekend. Lots of comfort food. Thank you for sharing! I also love your first picture. It makes me want Spring to arrive.
Claudia

Serendipitous Home said...

Hey there Claudia,
I hope you enjoy the soup, let me know how it turns out for you. I can't afford fresh flowers so the picture I took in my front porch once is the next best thing for me!

hugs
Sandra