Sunday, July 15, 2012

Beachy decor and Mom's trade

Well folks, I have got to say that my good intentions of accomplishing anything last weekend were foiled by alternate plans of summer fun. The laundry list of things to do is huge but I don't think you can really understand that having missed out on so much in the past, makes it an easy choice to not be slugging away inside the house when the weather is as beautiful as it has been.   
Hence, the walls are not painted yet in the dining room but 
what I have been doing over the last while is starting to collect some coastal accessories to decorate our home with. After spending money on the bones of our home, there is not much left for decorating so finding affordable things that speak to me is important. I had some fun arranging them here on one side of our dining room built-ins for now.


Here is something I've never seen before, stunning sea barnacles in in
shades of purples, pinks and cream .
Mom and I found them when we visited the incredibly talented and proud new store owner
Michael Penny. If you ever get a chance you must visit him. His gorgeous store is called
Penney and Co.
located in downtown Whitby. Michael is a super nice and uber talented designer who left a little gig called Canadian House and Home Magazine  to work with my all time favourite interior designer Sarah Richardson on the currently airing Sarah 101.
There is an article about his store in the recent Canadian House and Home Magazine and a featured home he decorated is in the recent Style at Home Magazine.
 Sadly I was so wrapped up in speaking with him that I completely forgot to take pictures of his store but I won't forget the next time I visit.
Michael also has a fantastic blog full of great inspiration that is both stylish and down to earth so check him out.
 Michael Penney

I found this beautiful  conch shell in an antique barn near work for just $8.00


and these pretty white washed boxes at Home Sense



and a sweet little guy I gave you a sneak peak of a while back,
a driftwood coloured wood carved pelican that I've nicknamed Henry







another lovely item I found at Michael's store is this great little white washed and tan basket to hide the  remotes in in the living room.

I even found a box of matches at Michael's store that has shell pictures on the cover. 








a candle lantern from the grocery store on clearance for just $6.00
  


and I couldn't pass up on these 3 star fish when I saw them in a store in the town where I work, each one washed with a muted blue, grey, and taupe, my favourite colours, and there were just three of them.
The frame is awaiting the perfect print. 



 Three star fish seems to be a recurring theme that I love, the first ones I placed on the ledge of our beadboard wainscotting after it's renovation a couple of years ago



so I couldn't believe it when I found this set of three star fish hooks that are just perfect for Emma's leash's and things on the opposite side of the door to the kitchen




and now I am so thrilled to show you what makes me the most proud of all to own,
a painting by my mom. She had painted this same scene for me before in a smaller version and I had it framed but when I saw this larger unframed canvas version she later did I just had to see if she would trade me, and she did.
Isn't it amazing?!!!
When I look at it, it just takes me away to a stress free place.
I will hang it either in our front hall or it maybe it will end up in our dining room over our sideboard.
Thanks Mom!!!!

Now some exciting news about my mom I would like to share, she has recently started taking DESSICATED THYROID HORMONE like me and is starting to feel better than she has in years. So much so now that she is now selling her paintings to cottage owners at my brother's marina who love her work!!!!!
I am one proud daughter.



Tomorrow we are taking a day trip to Awenda provincial park. There is a dog beach there and we can't wait to see if Emma likes the water.

Have a great week!!

No comments: