Sunday, April 17, 2011

Powder Room Reno


Hi everyone, 
I hope all is good in your worlds, we are still 
waiting for a diagnosis for Todd's mom, she has been
going through  more testing and is in really good spirits, 
says she feels great and just wants to go home which is really good.

Thanks for your warm well wishes, they mean so much right now.

Of course nothing has been done on any of our
projects on the go so I thought I would show you 
our powder room reno that Todd did a couple of 
years ago when I was away in Calgary for two weeks
 for a serious surgery my mom was having at the time. 

It was such a nice surprise to come home to.

It is located within the footprint of our kitchen
which is not the optimum place but is the only
place on our main  floor it. 

It originally had a very large zinc sink with a hand pump
in it I am told (no toilet). They would pump water up from the
cistern below (a cement holding tank that held collected rainwater before
they had indoor plumbing). Boy I would have loved to have
seen that sink, so cool.

The before included a pull chain light, 
acoustic ceiling tile and really bad wallpaper.
There was no insulation, no heat source 
 and the unheated cistern that was below made
made for a very unpleasant visit in the winter time.





A window from the mudroom looked
right inside the 4' x 5' space.



We gave it a cheap and cheerful makeover for the short term with
tongue and groove wood on the ceiling and upper walls, painting the tile white 
and covering the floor with peel and stick  tile.
The vanity was just a makeshift thing with a discoloured and 
cracked cultured marble counter and I gave it a
skirt to cover it.


You could easily welcome visitors in the back 
door without even leaving!


A full gut, insulation and a heat source
brought it into the 21st century.
We already had the pewter wedding cake chandelier
and installed it here and thought the effect on the 
ceiling was pretty in a small space
(we put it on a dimmer of course)
We added crown moulding, chair rail and Todd 
created a smaller version of our original baseboards.


We chose a 1" porcelain hexagon floor tile which is 
durable and in keeping with the era of our home.




 I always loved the clean lines and 
 storage capacity of this 30" x 19" vanity
from my work and 
when it was being discontinued I
snapped it up for a great price. 



This Moen faucet was on clearance for $50.00 and
and I didn't like that it was  lacking in vintage charm so I resold it for
$50.00


and chose this one instead with cross ball handles.

I looked everywhere for a mother of pearl
shell round mirror for a good price to no avail.
The next best thing was this round mirror 
that I had in my front hall that I purchased from
our grocery store for a mere $30.00. 


The dark wood was pretty but was too heavy for the small space
and so I painted it white and added my 
all time favourite real glass
hexagon shaped knobs


The bump out is for the old waste stack and
Todd framed it out enough to later
add doors for a some narrow storage
if we want to. You can't have enough built in storage
in an old home.


I chose a cream, grey and white colour scheme 
and wasn't sure about it but changed my mind when  I saw
  Sarah Richardson used it for her very own farmhouse bathroom.
(minus the yellow and slate grey).









Now last but not least of all of course, the piece de la resistance, 
la toilette!
I love love love this 6 litter Kohler toilet for it's clean lines 
and vintage feel with it's pull up flush button
on the tank lid. The peekaboo window was removed
which allowed for a large towel bar



and allowed for coat storage on the mudroom side


I wanted to change the bedroom mirror to something 
a little less girly for no or little money 
and recently moved the round mirror
there to see what it would look like.



and couldn't resist when I found this weathered wood 
mirror for just $25.00 at Home Sense.

It has a pretty egg and dart design like the
canopy of the chandelier.







I think it would look better with a 
slight wash over it and I'm already 
thinking of repainting the walls. 
I am going to change the kitchen cabinets
to white from cream in the summer and so
I may go for a pretty blue upper and
white lower or just white everywhere.
I will wait until things settle down before making
any major decisions.

Well  even though they are unbelievably calling for snow flurries today I
am going to get some major spring house cleaning done while Todd is out
doing one last trip to move his parents stuff for them.

Have a great weekend.

hugs
Sandra














1 comment:

Claudia said...

Hello,

I love your home. It's so pretty and looks so tranquil. Love the bathroom tile floor and the pendant. I send prayers your way for your mother n law.
Take care,
Claudia