Sunday, March 16, 2014

Value at the Village, Sarah and Tommy, Mom's Art

I realize it has been quite some time since I posted and that is mostly since I have spent more time focusing on the every day tasks of life, eating (well), sleeping, walking, relaxing and doing more of all of that (except eating). Projects in the house are still there waiting on our attention but I am no longer in a rush, doing what I can when I can and trying to create other moments in life.


So Mom and I recently enjoyed a day out together and one of our stops was to Value Village. Mom who is a crazy book lover (must be the librarian in her) spotted this large coffee table book by the infamous sea explorer, Jaques Cousteau and graciously let me have it to buy. We all grew up watching Jaques Cousteau and loved all he brought to us through his research and adventures with the undersea world. 
It was a mere $5.00, truly an unbelievable deal.


I removed the glossy coloured jacket to reveal this stunning white and grey scheme with a simple beautiful font and I knew it would be a perfect addition to our living room.



I have yet to read this incredible book that is full of such amazing information that Jacques dedicated his entire life to but the pictures alone are stunning.









And as we were waiting in line at the cash I spotted a back wall of frames and pictures that we hadn't seen and decided to check them out while mom saved my spot in line. I spotted this heavy beautiful banana weave laundry basket with a hinged lid sitting right beside the frames and when I saw the price tag ($7.99) I wanted to yell 
"START THE CAR, START THE CAR"!!!, 
so I quickly picked it up and headed for the cash. 
We walked out and I couldn't believe that I just spent a measly $13.00 on a stunning book and a basket that would normally cost $80.00.
So I get home and after showing Todd (so he'd believe I only spent that much) I cut the tag off and it was then that I noticed a piece of paper stapled to the price tag and when I turned it over it had that days date written on it with someone's name and "not paid for ". 
Neither I nor the cashier saw it because the writing was facing the wrong way and it was then that my heart sank.
Someone had found it before me and asked a staff person to set it there and hold it for them perhaps while they shopped. It was late and the store we went to was a 45 minute drive away so there was no way I was taking it back.  I still feel guilty when I toss my laundry into it.
This actually happened to me once before and also to my friend so if you ever find a good deal or something one of a kind and put it on hold at the front of the store, don't trust that it is safe if it's sitting somewhere that someone else can come by and pick it up either on purpose or by accident. Better yet, pay for it and put it in your vehicle and then go back in for the rest of your shopping.



I thought I would share another wonderful eye candy book that was a delightful Christmas gift from my nephew Rob and his sweet girlfriend Laura. It is written by the founders of the Brighton England store, i gigi, Zoe Ellison and Alex Legendre.
They have mastered the art of taking antique and found objects and incorporate them into design in a visual blend of texture and tone in it's simplest perfection.







This last picture of Alex's home is my favourite. I love the rawness of the table and chairs contrasted with that incredible drippy chandelier above.



Joanne and I went to this years IDS show in Toronto and had a great time and a photo op with my favourite designer Sarah Richardson. Not sure why she had to scrunch down though! I was a little nervous and when she scrunched down, silly me, looks like I did a little too. Dang, wish I'd worn my high heels. Ha!
We also listened to Sarah talk at the main stage and she is on fire, the lady has so much charisma and energy and such a passion for design, she is truly a superstar. 



and we also had a pic with her design partner the funny and oh so incredibly talented Tommy who was wonderful manning the booth all weekend that displayed Sarah's new fabric line which is available through her website. I have to say that Tommy is the real deal, so friendly and funny.You have to check out Sarah's fabrics, they are all gorgeous and so true to her style.
                                                              Sarah Richardson Design

We also listened to Suzanne Dimma, editor of the wonderful Canadian House and Home magazine speak with Mark Challen on the main stage and after Suzanne was gracious enough to speak with a couple of us who had questions. I told her I was stumped about our coffee table, whether to paint it or stain it and she said paint it which I wasn't expecting to hear. She was so nice and easy to speak with and it was great to hear her advice yet I'm still unsure what I will do. 



And so the living room is still a work in progress and the latest addition is a stunning beach scene my very own Mom painted.
I am tickled pink about it and just LOVE it!


She is so so talented.


And to pick up the intense colour of the painting I added a few globes as well as a gorgeous cotton knit throw that was a lovely gift from a sweet customer. 

I painted the coffee tables white as well and wish I'd done it ages ago as it truly evokes the beach house aesthetic I love.





Here is another amazing little water colour that mom did.
 I think I recall her saying, oh, I was just messing around that day.
What?!!! Pleeeeeease! 
She never thought it would get framed and is an odd size so I took it to staples to see if it would copy onto a size for a frame I already had. It isn't the ultimate thing to do as I want her original art framed but is such an inexpensive option. I realize as well that the white frame doesn't do it justice as well.



It worked but it did not copy the colour perfectly so I am going to find a darker frame and then a get a custom matte for it afterall.

House of Turquoise 
I have always, always coveted a large wall clock which usually cost hundreds of dollars but when I saw this one on Erin's House of Turquoise website, I'd new I'd found my answer. It will be so easy to make and in it's perfection, reads "Island time" with no working clock arms, means, when life is as care free as that, who cares what time it is.
So fun! 

The sun shone today with a chilly - 9 degree high going to - 19 tonight and even thought winter has dragged on I have enjoyed the fact that we have had our share of unusually sunny days, which makes me happy. Hope you are having a great weekend.

No comments: